The staff and physicians at Hanover Emergency Center are committed to working collaboratively with referring physicians to provide the highest level of care to our patients. We appreciate your partnership with Hanover Emergency Center.
For cancer care and palliative care
Call (804) HCA-CARE ((804) 422-2273)
Palliative care consultation services require a physician's referral. At Hanover Emergency Center, we recommend that physicians consider the following criteria for referring an individual to palliative care:
- Uncontrolled pain or symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, delirium, depression or anxiety
- Uncontrolled psychosocial or spiritual issues
- Multiple hospital admissions or ER visits in one month for the same diagnosis
- Prolonged length of intensive care or hospital stay without evidence of progress
- Patient or family requests information regarding palliative care, advanced directives, living wills or hospice care
- Holistic assessment that considers the patient’s overall situation and future decision-making
Our palliative care team can also assist with patient discharge planning for continuing services and advanced care planning.
For all other referrals
Call our One Call Transfer Center at (804) HCA-XFER ((804) 422-9337), 24 hours a day.
Our team will:
- Obtain and document necessary patient information
- Locate designated accepting physician and hospital
- Connect sending and accepting physicians by a recorded physician-to-physician call
- Confirm bed availability, obtain hospital approval and notify receiving departments
- Assist in securing appropriate transportation
- Track transfer from time of call until patient arrives at destination
- Provide immediate feedback to all physicians and facilities involved
All calls are recorded and documented to ensure accurate service.
Our commitment to quality
Hanover Emergency Center is committed to providing our patients with the safest, highest quality healthcare possible. Refer patients with confidence – learn more about our quality measures and view our latest quality of care scores as reported by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.